Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Arya



We had a lunch meeting with an Indian deal-maker and his Singaporean colleague at the Arya Persian restaurant at the Podium.  I like dining with foreign friends, when we talk about food, we often have different perspectives and this case, our choice to dine at Arya was influenced by their love of Persian food.  From what I understand, the owners are Iranians who have settled in Manila, so the recipes are very authentic.  I had eaten at the Arya branch in Greenhills with Vicky and Monique many years ago, and instinctively, I made a beeline for the lamb biryani (extra large order, as I was very hungry).  This was one of their specialties, and it came piping hot!  I didn't get the spicy version though, and although my Indian friend ribbed me for not getting the authentic (spicy) version, I protested and told him that my tolerance for spicy food wasn't that high.


The new find that day was the salty cold yogurt drink that my friends ordered.  Intrigued, I got one for myself.  I don't recall the name of the drink, but my friend told me that this was very common in Teheran.  It was funny at first, but one can get the hang of the drink after a few sips.  Prepare to spend something like P800 per head here, if you want good variety of interesting things to eat.  Given that Manila has been a choice favorite city of learning for Iranians since the 1970s, the number of Persian restaurants in Manila have increased over the years.  Arya is among those at the top tier, so check the place out!


No comments:

Post a Comment