Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Vektor CP1


I was rummaging through my drawers this morning and I came across a key chain given to me by a sales representative of South African firearms manufacturer Lyttleton Engineering Works.  The key chain figurine was in the shape of the Vektor Compact Pistol 1, which debuted in Manila at a gun show at the World Trade Center sometime in 1997.  I remember being so amazed by this 9 mm pistol, which had a distinct safety lock design located at the front of the trigger guard (you can see it colored red at the photo on the left).  To unlock, you had to move your trigger finger forward before pulling to fire; I thought it was a cool mechanism, and furthermore, the futuristic shape of the pistol was very appealing to me.  I almost bought one, but at that time, I hadn't found a buyer yet for my revolver, so I didn't have a budget.  Besides, Vicky wore a frown when I was gushing about the features pistol, almost to the point of complaining about making expenditure on "something we never want to use."  It was good that I hadn't purchased one; I understand that years later the gun was recalled in the United States in 2006 and thereafter discontinued in 2008.  Apparently, as the guns aged, the safety lock mechanism couldn't be relied on to function properly, such that some instances of discharge were reported when the pistols were accidentally dropped or bumped.  The unique lock design trumpeted upon its release was the ultimate cause of the gun's demise.  At least I have one piece, maybe not the real one, but a plastic key chain figurine!

No comments:

Post a Comment