Saturday, April 20, 2013

Mu Noodle Bar



Over at Wilson St., just after the corner of P. Guevara, lies Mu Noodle Bar.  Monique, Vicky and I decided to have a quick dinner there last week, and we were in for a pleasant surprise.  As you enter the place, your eyes have to adjust for a few seconds, as the interiors are dimmed, much like that of a regular bar.  "Of course!" I told myself, the concept was indeed a bar--a noodle bar.  I had thought that the menu would be Japanese ramen, but the noodles slant toward the Chinese style of cooking, and most certainly, the rest of the menu was Chinese.


We started off with tofu topped with mahu (shredded pork floss), which was an instant hit with Vicky (she loves tofu dishes).  I had ordered a large bowl of pork noodles; soup was flavorful and plentiful, the dish can feed up to 3 persons.  We tried a house specialty--braised sea cucumber, and I was initially worried that this wouldn't be agreeable with Monique.  It turned out that this was the smash hit of the evening, and she has added sea cucumber to her list of well loved exotic food.



The mustasa rice wasn't as flavorful as we would have liked (go to Mien San for this), but the oyster cake had a delightful twist--cheese toppings, served on a bed of Sky Flakes!  While Vicky wasn't impressed, Monique and I gobbled up every morsel.  Vicky was wondering aloud about the asado pork in man tou bread, so we got and order--she was very happy about this one.




I probably had the impression that the place served Japanese ramen because of the interiors--beech wood on black.  If you notice in the picture below, the Marilyn Monroe collage creates a certain modern style.  I liked the open kitchen concept--thinking that when you see the kitchen you know exactly how your dish was prepared.   I also admired the nifty look of the bathroom--4 shaving mirrors were arranged to get that minimalist but hip feel.  Kudos to the owners and their concept team!





No comments:

Post a Comment