Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tama Yaki



Off Wilson St. in San Juan, new tea shops abound, and the latest one to join the fray is Tamayaki, located on P. Guevara St., right beside the Servitek compound.  Vicky, Monique & I decided to stop by for a quick late night snack, and I thought the interior motif (black and pink) was hip, designed primarily to attract the young college crowd.  Large flavored tea drinks go for around P85 (Vicky and I decided to get lychee and chrysanthemum) while the taro drink was priced at P110.  As usual, I asked for 50% sugar level, but I found out that I should have asked for just 25% level, as 50% was still on the sweet side for me.  Taste-wise, these drinks were quite okay.


The place also serves takoyaki balls, and we ordered various flavors--octopus, oyster & mozzarella, kani & shrimp and satay squid (price range of P105 to P135 for an order of 4 balls).  As you can see below, the different flavors look very much alike, and it was good that each order was labelled, otherwise we would have had difficulty differentiating each.  We soon found out that because the same sauce was drizzled over each order, the taste of the balls seemed the same, and it was just too bad that the subtleties between flavors couldn't be experienced.  We should have asked the server to serve the sauce in a separate tub!


No comments:

Post a Comment