Friday, June 13, 2014

Maleficent


Yes, yes, I've heard all the reasons why the movie Maleficent doesn't meet the cut.  And I admit that some of the criticisms are true.  But I wept watching the movie with Monique, and I firmly believe that this will be the iconic role for Angelina Jolie, who, prior to this, has been defined by her action movies (i.e. Lara Croft, Mrs. Smith and Angelina Salt).  Jolie simply relishes the role, and you can see how her changing facial expressions dictate the pace of the story telling.  True, the rest of the characters--the two kings, the fairy godmothers, Prince Charming and Sleeping Beauty herself--are mere adjuncts to Maleficent's story.  While the actions and motivations of the rest are not magnified with interwoven complexity, I don't really mind.  The simple message of the film is that villains can be misunderstood and can actually have a different slant--if you just care to see the other side of the coin.  That's more than enough for me to cheer on the underdog, even a villain at that. Bravo!



No comments:

Post a Comment