Friday, March 1, 2013

Research at Monastery



This artist's creation is a true joy to behold!  I was very lucky to walk past the Ayala Museum's Artist's Nook at the Greenbelt just when the watercolor series "Road to Silence" of Geneva-based artist Marissa Gonzalez was being displayed.  I stood there transfixed, just enjoying the wonderful works on jusi (yes, what we wear for Barong Tagalog).  So restful to the eyes, so relaxing, practically uplifting to the soul!


I immediately wanted the painting "Research at Monastery" which was done in 2007.  Unbelievable match, as the painting that I wanted was only 1 of 3 unsold pieces left!  It was meant for me, as simple as that!  The artwork was initially intended as wall hanging--free to flap around in the wind.  However, I requested that this be framed, bearing in mind that Pipay has a tendency to grab and play with all the artwork she can get her hands on.  Absolutely gorgeous, feeds my soul!

Ms. Marissa Q. Gonzalez
* Photo courtesy of the Philippine Star

Vicky and I had the chance to have a short discussion with the artist, who happens to be the granddaughter of the late President Quirino.  The amazing thing about her artwork is that watercolor on jusi has zero error tolerance!  Each stroke must be correct, and there are no pencil lines to frame the strokes.  A lot of people have asked me why I buy artwork on irregular media (e.g. banana stalk, and in this case, jusi) with no track record of pigment stability and longevity.  It's simple--I like looking at the presentation, it just makes me happy!  "Research at Monastery" is proudly mine, along with the accompanying serene feeling and visual delight.  Thank you, Ms. Gonzalez, for your contribution to my happiness!


No comments:

Post a Comment