Friday, March 8, 2013

Alfredo's



My memories of Alfredo's in Tomas Morato span over some 4 decaades, as this was one of the favorite restaurants of Kong Kong and his golf gang.  I can still remember the steak house boom during the late seventies, and of those that opened at that time (e.g. Luigi's and Steak Express), it seems that only Alfredo's is left standing today.  If I remember correctly, the place is still operated by the Perdices family.



The interiors of the place still look the same, and it seems that time stood still for the restaurant (it's actually been renovated a few times).  It was a Western cowboy steak grill that had some flair!  I must admit that a lot of newer steak houses have given Alfredo's stiff competition recently (most offering a variety of USDA, Ozzie, Wagyu and other aged cuts), but the memories of my youth (and the best Batangas beef cuts) still make me an excited customer!


A couple of weeks ago, I had lunch with an older lawyer friend, and we both had a tenderloin steak each--tender, juicy, and cooked just right (I love it medium rare).  It comes in a cast iron plate to keep the meat hot, and you must remember to hold your napkin high when gravy is poured, so as not to get your clothes splattered with all the sizzling spray.  The lunch set meal costs some P1,200 and comes with complimentary bread, soup, salad, and coffee/tea.  I thought they would have someone playing the piano, but they tell me that the player comes in only on certain nights.






No comments:

Post a Comment