Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mitsuyado Sei-Men



I didn't know that the newly opened Mitsuyado Sei-Men along Jupiter St. was already a fast-growing buzz among my foodie friends.  I hadn't heard of the restaurant and had difficulty pronouncing the name when a friend sent me a text message to inform me where our gathering would be held.  Vicky's old office mate had come to town for a Christmas visit, and we were able to reserve a private room.  This was a good thing--it was a Thursday night, and the place was 80% full when we got in at 7:30 pm.  We had the private room till 9:30 pm, and most patrons had already gone home.




As you get in, the ambiance of a Japanese street corner fills the air.  Given the number of movie posters spread around, I half expected samurai and ninja swordsmen to come running through, chasing each other as in the movies.


The restaurant concept is Tsukemen, which is dipping noodles.  Noodles are served separately from the broth or sauce, and you dip the noodles right before you eat.  The best-seller was supposedly the double cheese noodles, but I found myself wondering why I would order cheese noodles in a Japanese restaurant, so I went for the pork strips while Vicky got the curry noodles.  We also had karaage and gyoza on the side, to share with our friends.






It's a good place to try because of the Tsukemen concept and the street-food ambiance.  A bit on the pricey side, though; we spent something like P600 per head, and I expected a bit more meat and filling for the meals.  Food was okay, but I think there's some room for improvement.



No comments:

Post a Comment