Thursday, October 3, 2013

Siopawman



* scan from komikero.com
I was looking for interesting comic book material to read on the internet and I came upon Siopawman strips from the Daily Express (one of the few newspapers during the Martial Law era).  The character was a parody of Superman, and it was started by the ever enduring cartoonist Larry Alcala right after the war.  I remember the humor of it all--it was the sidekick Okboy who had more brains.  To those who can remember, Alcala, who was dean at the UP College of Fine Arts, would also draw the Slice of Life page, which I think was either at the Weekender or the Philippine Panorama. This cartoon would feature snippets of Philippine daily life, and you would have to look for the caricature of the artist's face hidden somewhere in the cartoon (I would always miss it, and Michaela would be the one to point it out to me).



No comments:

Post a Comment