Friday, October 25, 2013

Coeur de Suisse


I came across the Couer de Suisse brand of chocolates at the Robinson's Supermarket last week, and without skipping a beat, I picked up a few bars (dark, with milk, and with hazelnuts).  This brand is affiliated with Villars, an old Swiss chocolate brand that dates back to 1901, and named after the village of Villars Sur Ollon.  While Villars has the long history of liqueur and gourmet chocolates, I have this notion that Coeur de Swiss (literally "Heart of Switzerland") is more of a mass-marketed chocolate (around P100 per 100 gram bar).  That perception may be so, but I feel that I still get top-notch quality--the flavor is very intense, and the chocolate blend is smooth, almost melty (which indicates high concentration of cocoa butter).  To me, one of the reasons why European chocolates have a better appeal over American chocolates is that the sugar level is muted, and Coeur de Suisse is a fine example of my idea of the correct sweetness level for chocolate. I like this brand very much and I think I will keep a few bars at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment