Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fullmetal Alchemist




Reaching the end of a manga title is always a bittersweet experience for me.  After following the Fullmetal Alchemist for a good seven, maybe eight years, I just read the final chapter of the Hiromu Arakawa manga earlier today.  I feel bitter, as I won't get to read more of the stuff, and at the same time, the sweet scent of triumph is there, and I shed some tears in cheering the two brothers on to victory.  And the best part--Edward Elric ends up with Winry Rockbell, and they have two kids (see below), while his brother Alphonse is sure to wind up with May.  It's the perfect ending for me!



It's a unique reading experience, since the first anime adaptation was made with a diverging storyline.  In it, the heroes open a portal to our Earth, and the storyline was intertwined with our own World War II.  As I understand it, the author decided to give the anime team some leeway to create a divergent plot from her own manga version (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), which was released as a separate anime story.  What an ingenious way to expand its manga universe!



No comments:

Post a Comment