Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Sulo Riviera



I haven't been to Sulo Hotel in ages.  In the early nineties, Anita used to be connected there, but it's a shame that I didn't get to visit her at that time when the hotel in its prime years.  In the late seventies, they used to serve the best hamburgers in town; Kong and I would enjoy biting into those succulent patties (especially at the Makati branch).  I remember the bar lounge had a glass wall to the swimming pool, providing an underwater view of the swimmers; it was one of the design highlights that people noticed when they talked about the hotel.  The Quezon City location was just a stone's throw away from the City Hall, so it was pretty much the de facto lounge for politicians and businessmen.  By the time I last went to the place around 2005 or 2006, the place was showing signs of aging, wear and tear.





I had a lunch meeting scheduled there a couple of weeks ago, and I was very much surprised to find out that the hotel has been re-branded to Sulo Riviera.   Not only that, the hotel has been remodeled, renovated and re-energized.  Room sizes are still the same, slightly cramped and a bit dark for me, but acceptable.   The lobby is brighter, and now has a more spacious feel.  The swimming pool is still located in the same area, but the glass window has been taken away.  Parking is available, but can get full when all function rooms are taken.


I understand from the staff that a new group of investors have taken over the shares of the Enriquez family (they used to run D&E restaurant in the fifties).  I think the new group has been able to tweak the hotel properly!


No comments:

Post a Comment