Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Kettle



We had a lot of time to celebrate the Christmas holidays, and my high school group took the chance to have a fast dinner at Kettle, at the 5th floor of the new wing of the Shangri-la Mall. It was a good thing that we arrived early at around 6pm, and we got to sit immediately.  The line after us was pretty long, and it was obvious that the newly opened restaurant was a hit with a lot of other diners.  Someone told the group that the food items were supposed to be "comfort food" but another pointed out that term is a bit over-used and fuzzy; what gives an individual comfort may not do the same for the next person.  We started off with some fried potatoes and pork bits, just the way I like it done (reminds me of shoestring potatoes).



Clam chowder served in sour bread used to be prepared in only a couple of high end hotel restaurants back in the eighties.  It seems that this style is the norm these days, and the thick, flavorful soup came in hot.  My buttermilk chicken was crunchy and the blend of sauces (slightly spicy gravy and sweet honey) made the dish a very "Southern-fried" experience.  My friends chided me for ordering such a cholesterol-laden dish, but I reasoned that buttermilk isn't supposed to be as fatty as it is made out to be.  Which is which?  I don't really know.  All I can say is that the chicken dish was quite delicious, and I could only finish one of two pieces (serving portion was good for two).  Prepare some P600 per head to enjoy the menu, but note that if you choose the works, your average food check can go as high as the P900 level.



No comments:

Post a Comment