Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mantaro



I love sharing my foodie discoveries, and Mantaro was an instant hit with me and Monique. It's a small restaurant serving authentic Peruvian food, located at the corner of Sct. Tobias and Sct. Limbaga, diagonally across from Estrel's Cake Shop.  Operated by a husband and wife team, the food is prepared fresh, and comes to your table piping hot.  Average spending would come to around P650 per person, but I assure you it's worth every centavo.  Simple dining atmosphere, a lovely place to spend a quiet and romantic evening with your loved one!


Our first order was Arroz Con Mariscos (P340), as and I inhaled the savory aroma, my appetite doubled its intensity and immediately brought my senses to life.  This was the way I wanted my rice! 


Next came the twin viands of Lomo Saltado (P380) and Lengua Guisada (P420); both were perfect with a nice touch of lime at the side.  Soft tender beef & ox tongue, rich sauce and enough veggie and condiments to bring out full flavor.


By the time our Pollo Ala Brasa (one fourth chicken for P185) arrived, my palate was already overwhelmed with the richness of the cuisine.  As a result, the roasted chicken didn't get enough exposure, rather it was the coleslaw that I attacked in order to calm my taste buds.


While the names of the dishes sound familiar, it's not exactly the Spanish cuisine that you might be accustomed to.  There is a distinctly different taste to the food.  Flavors are awesome, oftentimes bursting with herbs and spices (brought in from South America). Now that I think of it, the food would have been better eaten with plain white rice; the arroz dishes are enough to stand on its own.  Seating is limited, so you might consider coming early or calling for reservations especially if you are a big group.



No comments:

Post a Comment