Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Autumn Leaves

 


It's a haunting song that I can listen to over and over again.  When I was young, I first heard the version of Doris Day, followed by the version of Nat King Cole.  I was up on You Tube playing  several versions of the song the other night, and it was only then that I learned that the English lyrics (Johnny Mercer) are not the direct translation of the original French lyrics (Jacques Prevert).  And as I read the direct translation, I realized just how deeply emotional and heart-wrenching the song actually was.  While I had heard the original French version many years ago, I had always assumed that the French lyrics (which I could not understand) were directly translated into English.

I probably watched around 25 versions of the song in YouTube, and here are the top 10 vocal versions of the song that I consider my favorites:

1.    Yves Montand
2.    Eric Clapton
3.    Paula Cole
4.    Edith Piaf
5.    Matt Monro
6.    Bobby Darin
7.    Perry Como
8.    Tony Bennett
9.    Caterina Valente
        10.    Andy Williams






No comments:

Post a Comment