Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Bahay Kawayan



Right after the visit to Sweet Harmony, we had lunch at nearby Bahay Kawayan, which is right along the Taytay highway.  Some of Vicky's colleagues who are familiar with the area recommended the place to her.  I like eating good food in roadside eateries; the ambiance might not be fantastic, but the home-cooked aroma and the mouth-watering taste makes the trip all worth it!  Imagine, for P400 per head, we had a wide range of good food--



For starters, we had a salad of mustasa leaves topped with tomatoes and red eggs.  The sinigang na kanduli had just the right sourness, and while Vicky takes this the traditional way (with Balayan bagoong), I thought it was perfect as is.  The waiters informed me that the kanduli comes in fresh from Bae, Laguna, and that this dish was one of their best-selling specialties.


The bam-i was ordinary, but the pritong dalag tasted great--didn't have that earthy scent usually associate with river fish.



We couldn't resist the squid!  I had already ordered another of their specialties, the adobong pusit (squid in coconut milk) but after taking a second look at the menu, I just had to get the grilled lumot (bigger squid).  It was soft and well-seasoned, and if I weren't driving, I would have probably ordered a couple of cold San Migs to go along with the fine pulutan.



No comments:

Post a Comment