Monday, July 13, 2020

Glen Campbell


* photo from amazon.com


When most people talk about Glen Campbell, the song that automatically comes to mind is Rhinestone Cowboy.  In my case, however, the song that I associate him with is Wichita Lineman, which was penned by Jimmy Webb of McArthur Park fame.  In the late sixties, I wasn't allowed to tinker with Kong's turntable, so when I got my first cassette player, I would rewind the tape over and over to listen to the song.  I've had time during the COVID-19 lockdown to listen to a lot of the old music on YouTube, and I've revisited the song a few times.  Yes, it is a melancholy song, and yes it is haunting.

And I need you more than want you... And I want you for all time...

Few people know that Campbell was an exceptional guitar player, one of the best in the business.  He's worked on studio sessions for a lot of musical acts like the Beach Boys, the Everly Brothers, the Cascades, the Monkees and also recorded with Hollywood royalty including Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Lou Rawls and Elvis Presley.  If you listen to him play the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger song) live in concert, you will know exactly what I mean:




No comments:

Post a Comment