Monday, June 8, 2020

Gypsy Witch



* photograph from amazon.com


Gypsy Witch was the signature deck of Lola Gunday.  She had a certain knack for  divination and fortune-telling, much so that she correctly predicted the exact date of the Liberation of Manila and the facial features of the American soldier that would liberate the family from the Japanese soldiers at the Philippine General Hospital in 1945.

I don't know how the cards are played or how exactly the divination sequence works, but when I was a kid, I would see Lola entertain her friends with card readings, and some of her readings were said to be correct!  The cards are not exactly Romani in origin, and I read somewhere that the system was actually devised by a French lady.  It was introduced to wider audiences in the early 1900s and has become one of the most popular fortune-telling methods around.

I saw a deck being offered on the internet, and the more I read about the online offer, the more I realized that a there is renewed interest in cartomancy and tarot readings among the internet-savvy youth.  Nice touch there!


No comments:

Post a Comment